. 24 April, 2015
Don’t DIY with gas.
Gas Safe: Don’t DIY
1 in 3 people say they would fit a gas appliance themselves to save money. In the right hands, gas is safe, but badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. You may think you know what you’re doing but it’s not like changing a tap; it’s dangerous to DIY with gas and could put your family’s life at risk. It’s absolutely necessary that someone who is Gas Safe Registered carries out gas work.
It’s important that you don’t try to fit, fix or move gas appliances such as your boiler or cooker yourself. Only Gas Safe registered engineers have the right skills to do this safely. Gas Safe registered engineers retrain regularly to ensure they are up-to-date with new technology and appliances.
Download Gas Safe Register’s factsheet on who can legally undertake gas work for more information.
Subcontracting home improvements?
Handing over a home improvement project like a loft conversion or kitchen renovation to one builder or project manager is the ideal solution for many people. Worryingly though 100,000 home improvement jobs ended up with illegal gas work in the last year. In all cases home owners had left their project to a builder, contractor or project manager to handle who in turn subcontracted to dangerous and illegal gas fitters.
If you’re planning on home improvement work follow these top tips:
- No matter how big or small the home improvement job, find out if it will involve gas work and only use a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- If you’re using a builder or project manager to employ the gas fitter don’t rely on them to check their credentials. Check yourself to make sure they are registered and qualified to work safely on gas.
- If you have a new gas appliance fitted your Gas Safe registered engineer should let your local authority know. Make sure you know how to comply with building regulations.
- If you’ve recently had home improvement work done which involved gas and you’re not sure if a registered engineer did the work, nominate your property for a free safety check.
- If you suspect an illegal gas fitter report it to Gas Safe Register immediately.
In Nottingham? Get in touch
If you’re looking for a Gas Safe Registered engineer in Nottingham, then look no further! Get in touch with us today for all of your gas needs.